Things To Consider
Many people use the Internet to learn about saving on postage costs or
preparing bulk mailings for postage discounts. However,
determining the best mailing option for your organization
depends on a number of different factors. Some
key considerations are:
Mail characteristics and volume;
- Mail patterns – frequency, distribution, concentration of delivery ZIP codes;
- Regulations (Postal and Federal) and consumer protections;
- The benefits of mail tracking capabilities; and
- The cost-benefit of in-house labor and equipment versus an external mailing service provider solution.
mailing can be an expensive proposition, and while postage is the largest
contributor to the overall costs of mail it's not the only cost.
Outsource vs. In-House
have two choices for mailing, the "do-it-yourself” approach (commonly referred
to as in-house or in-sourced mailing) or outsourcing your mail to a mailing
services provider (a mail house or presort service bureau). Your decision on
the best method for your business depends on how much time and resources you are
willing to spend on your mailings.
The rules and procedures for obtaining postage
discounts are varied and complex.
mailing industry is constantly changing; from mailing trends and presort
equipment, to software and electronic solutions.
So unless you are willing to commit time, manpower and energy to the
mailing needs of your organization, our first recommendation would be to
contact one of the many professional mailing service provider members of the National
Association Presort Mailers (NAPM) and have a conversation with them.
Our member mailing service providers have expert
customer service teams that will listen to what your business' mailing or
communications needs are and offer a variety of options to achieve them. They
will provide you with the simplest, convenient, and most effective way to meet
your mailing needs while enjoying reduced postage costs.
- Cost Savings: No internal costs on labor, software or capital investments
- Logistics: Many mailers will pick up your mail at your business or coordinate with your printer to receive and process your mailings according to your expectations,
- No Involvement with USPS: Outsourcing your mail usually results in the service provider dealing with the USPS directly, leaving you to manage your business.
- Minimal Resources: You do not need dedicated mailing resources necessary to prepare mailings and stay abreast of the rapidly changing postal requirements
To find out
more about more please visit our Mailing Options: Outsource Mail Service Provider section.
your business mailing needs using an in-house operation is another way you can
receive postage discounts.
you're a do-it-yourselfer, your company/organization requires mailings to be
developed in-house, or you are looking to get into the mailing service supplier
business, you will need to dedicate significant time and resources to ensure
you meet the mailing requirements necessary to realizing the postage discounts.
If you've decided to do your bulk mailings in-house or are getting into
the mailing business, you may find that you need mailing equipment or software
to realize the best discounts. In this case we recommend that you contact one
of our professional vendor services provider members who will listen to you, analyze your
needs, and supply you with the best options to accomplishing your mailing
objectives. You can also visit our Mailing Options:In-house section for
a high-level understanding of the process and links to some USPS information
NAPM for Your Business
The NAPM is a
nonprofit trade association of firms concerned with postal worksharing
programs, especially discounts for presorted, automated mail.
We offer our members a variety of services
that benefit their businesses that subsequently benefits yours. Our services
include but are not limited to: Advocacy, Information and Education, Industry
Networking, and Solutions & Support. Please go to our About Us section to see how we are a great business decision you can make regarding your
business mailing needs.